Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Homemade Pasta

I grew up with homemade fresh pasta. Upon first moving out of my parent's house, homemade pasta became the only type of pasta I consumed. I had purchased a 12 dollar hand-cranked pasta machine and spend many university nights rolling out fresh linguine. I made pasta in small quantities and consumed it immediately after making. Then I began to freeze it in batches which is very reminiscent of the way I consumed pasta as a child. My current favourite way to consume pasta is to dry it before eating.

(buckwheat noodles)


Vegan Pasta Dough (from 'How to cook everything Vegetarian' by Mark Bittman

2 cups pasta (semolina is a personal favourite)
pinch of salt
splash of oil
1/2 cup hot water

Mix ingredients by hand and knead until smooth. Let rest for 30 minutes before cutting and shaping pasta.

Drying Pasta
Spread out on cookie sheets and let dry for 24 hours. Cook like regular, purchased pasta.

Bowtie Pasta
Roll out the pasta dough as thinly as possible. Let rest uncovered for 15 minutes. Cut into squares. To shape into 'bowties' simply squeeze the dough in the centre of the square. If it doesn't stick, wet your fingers and try again.
(semolina flour bowtie pasta) 



2 comments:

  1. The bows look so neat! I often daydream about getting some equipment for making pasta, then I just accept that I'm too lazy to ever actually use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little pasta bowties are adorable! I think I'm going to try this next time I make pasta instead of just long boring noodles. Happy VeganMoFo!

    ReplyDelete